Thursday, March 28, 2013

Tendonitis, a sequel

In posting "On fire and frozen...", saying no thank you is many times, not an option. And you are right, after 3 trips in 2 months, lugging baggages around, my left bicipital tendons gave. It is different reading it in books, and having it for real. But this just shows that rheumatism respects no one, and certainly, makes sure that all would experience one form or another of this painful malady in his/her  lifetime.

The good thing about having bicipital tendonitis is that I now actually feel what the patient tells me he feels. That is a good thing, and gives a human side to an otherwise automatic reaction by a doctor to a patient's cry. Suddenly, the pain is lancinating, gnawing, with the patient in real distress - according to MY shoulder!

Being a rheumatologist gives you a plethora of interventions to choose from. What did I choose? A self-made bicipital splint made of an adhesive plaster and tying it around the arm nearest the shoulder,  where it hurts. In addition, an NSAID liniment.

Principle? Fix or splint from too much distending motion, the insertion of the bicipital tendon.
Is it working now? I would like to think so. I'm in the airport yet again lugging my carry on baggage, using a lighter shoulder bag, and carrying both with my right hand and shoulder, and hoping that the right shoulder does not give.

Principle? Rest as much as can be afforded the poor tendons.

Updates forthcoming. In the meantime, smile and get on with life which does not tarry with pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment